On October 3, the Endocrine Society announced 22 new recipients for its Early Investigators Awards.
The Early Investigators Awards provide monetary support to assist in the development of early career investigators and recognition of their accomplishments in areas of general endocrinology. Recipients will receive a monetary award, one-year complimentary membership to the Society, one-year complimentary access to the Society’s online journals, and public recognition of research accomplishments in various Society platforms.
The following individuals won the award from Amgen, Inc. for metabolic bone research:
- Phillip Wong, MBBS, PhD, Hudson Institute of Medical Research, Victoria, Australia
- Andrea Palermo, MD, PhD, University Campus Bio-Medico, Rome, Italy
- Kyoung Min Kim, MD, PhD, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, South Korea
- Konstantinos Toulis, MD, MSc, PhD, AHEPA University Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
- Marlene Chakhtoura, MD, MSc, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- Marc Gregory Yu, MD, Philippine General Hospital, Manila, Philippines
- Vibha Singhal, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.
The following individuals won the award from Lilly USA, LLC, for diabetes research:
- Anne Bantle, MD, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Bharath Mani, DVM, PhD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
- Teresa Mezza, MD, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
- Petter Bjornstad, MD, Children’s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, Colo.
- Mauricio Dorfman, PhD, University of Washington, School of Medicine at South Lake Union, Seattle, Wash.
- Emily K. Sims, MD, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Matthew Lynes, PhD, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, Mass.
- Amin Ardestani, PhD, University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany
- Kavaljit Chhabra, MPharm, PhD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Ernesto Maddaloni, MD, University Campus Bio-Medico, Rome, Italy
- Hold an MD, PhD, or MD/PhD;
- Be a third or fourth year post-doctoral fellow or a newly appointed faculty within 10 years from the terminal degree granting date; and
- Only one nomination per research mentor.
The following individuals won the award from the Endocrine Society for endocrine research:
- Charu Baskaran, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- Laura Dichtel, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.
- Marco Medici, MD, MSc, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Maria Perez-Millan, PhD, The National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET), Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Natalie Shaw, MD, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), Research Triangle Park, N.C.
The Early Investigators Awards were established to recognize the achievements of early career investigators in endocrine research.
Additional information on this award and the recipients is located at www.endocrine.org/earlycareerawards.